Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tingatinga

Not far from my place is the Tingatinga market. The Tingatinga art are primarily oil paintings on canvas, with a distinctive style and caricatures of animals and people. The website for the artist cooperative is: http://www.tingatinga.org/index.html . The picture here is of the street market, but there were also shops and you can walk directly into the cooperative artist studios. The vibrant colors are very eye-catching and inspiring. I've got a few Tingatinga paintings in my room. When I was downtown, I also noticed that the Tingatinga painters have left their marks on other kinds of canvases - the picture to the left is a garage door for a residence near the main market.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, Fun to be following your travels in East Africa now! :) Already picking up some new Swahili from you; I'm impressed! Take care, and keep us up to date! Love, AR

    ReplyDelete