Last Sunday I visited the Lutheran church called Azania Front, along the Dar es Salaam port area. It’s an old and historic church building with stained glass brought from Germany. It was a nice service in Swahili and I especially enjoyed the music. After the service, a member offered to give me a little tour of the place, so I ascended many stairs to get up to the giant ticking clock and then even higher to the bell tower with a great view of the harbor.
As I went back home, I passed through the lively Kariakoo again for some fresh fruits and veggies, then caught a dalla-dalla (small local bus) for the ride back. Along the way, I saw a couple of polling stations. Thankfully things were incredibly peaceful, and all that I observed was people waiting patiently in line. In the evening, I watched some of the Tanzania local news commentary, with live coverage of the elections. Not surprisingly, the incumbent president Kikwete won the election.
SWAHILI WORD OF THE DAY: “changuzi” means “elections”

No comments:
Post a Comment