Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cultural Day

So one of the highlights of the last week was the second annual Cultural Day at the embassy. It was a day to learn more about Tanzanian culture, and also included some great skits that enabled the Americans and Tanzanians to laugh about our cultural differences in a great group therapy type of way. The MC highlighted the stereotypes of the regions of Tanzania, so now I know which tribes are proud, and which ones love money too much, etc.
So here on the left are a few pictures. The first one shows the typical clothes from Zanzibar (the ZAN of Tanzania, these islands are a 2-3 hour boat ride from Dar es Salaam, and is predominantly Muslim). The next picture is a dance of the Masaai, with two of the staff from the embassy featuring the typical red clothing. The next photo are Muslim women from the Dar es Salaam region. And finally we've got a photo of the incredible dance troupe that showed us a dance from each region. The yellow fabric is a kanga, a multi-purpose fabric that serves as a skirt, shirt, dress, baby carrier, etc. This yellow kanga has a map of Africa, as well as a lovely picture of President Obama (slightly hidden here by another piece of fabric).

In lieu of just one SWAHILI WORD OF THE DAY, I'll insert one stanza of a song that we learned, with the translation:

Tanzania, Tanzania! Nakupenda kwa moyo wote.
Nchi yangu Tanzania, Jina lako ni tamu sana.
Nilalapo nakuota wewe, Niamkapo ni heri mama wee.
Tanzania, Tanzania! Nakupenda kwa moyo wote.

Tanzania, Tanzania! I love you with all of my heart.
You are my country, your name is very sweet.
When I sleep I dream of you, when I wake up all is well my lady.
Tanzania, Tanzania! I love you with all of my heart.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. These are great pics, Rachel! The national anthem is really sweet; it's more like a love song than a national anthem :-)

    ReplyDelete