Immediately down the street from my work, there are several small gardens carved out of a couple of acres lining the street. About 15 people tend these plots that have been an inspiration as I’m working on food security and agriculture issues here in Tanzania. These urban gardeners in the midst of the bustle of the city water, weed, fertilize (with chicken manure) and tend their mchicha (amaranthus), matembele (sweet potato leaves), and maboga (pumpkin leaves), with regular rotations to ensure a consistent harvest and steady source of income, as they sell these highly nutritious greens along the major thoroughfare. I’ve been avidly watching this group of farmers (mostly women), and picking up a few ideas for when I return to my house in the States and start my spring garden.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Urban Gardeners
Immediately down the street from my work, there are several small gardens carved out of a couple of acres lining the street. About 15 people tend these plots that have been an inspiration as I’m working on food security and agriculture issues here in Tanzania. These urban gardeners in the midst of the bustle of the city water, weed, fertilize (with chicken manure) and tend their mchicha (amaranthus), matembele (sweet potato leaves), and maboga (pumpkin leaves), with regular rotations to ensure a consistent harvest and steady source of income, as they sell these highly nutritious greens along the major thoroughfare. I’ve been avidly watching this group of farmers (mostly women), and picking up a few ideas for when I return to my house in the States and start my spring garden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment