Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Shamba Darasa

In and around Arusha, I got to meet with a number of farmer groups and hear about the exciting work they are doing. I met with farmers being mentored on a large farm on how to become outgrowers for regional and international exports. Others were producing for the local market and applying new technologies such as drip irrigation or planting on raised beds. Yet another site I met with high school and vocational students who were eager to plant in a newly constructed greenhouse. A common theme was having a "shamba darasa", which is a farmer field school. In this common field, farmers could experiment with different approaches to see what would work best. I was encouraged to see USAID programs working closely with the local NGOs and government extension workers to actively support the smallholder farmers.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. That greenhouse looks amazing! Way to take pictures with the USAID sign...I bet your bosses love that ;-)

    ReplyDelete